Close X

Australia Migration Frequently Asked Questions

Australia Migration Frequently Asked Questions

Levin Immigration Law is one of only four Australian Registered Migration Agents based in the US.

  Some of the most common questions we receive include the following:

Q.  I want to temporarily visit Australia as a tourist, do I need a visa?

A.  Most Americans will be eligible to apply on-line for an Electronic Travel Authority (“ETA”) to visit Australia as often as you wish in a 12-month period and stay for up to 3 months each time you enter. 

Q.  I want to temporarily visit Australia for business, do I need a visa?

A.  An ETA is valid to engage in only some business visitor activities.  These include making general business or employment inquiries; negotiate or review a business contract, and take part in a conference or trade show. You will need to apply for a work visa if you would like to work for or provide services to a person, business, or organization.  A work visa is also required to sell goods or services to the public.

Q.  We are a US business seeking to send American citizen employees to Australia on temporary business.  Do they need a work visa?

A.  Whether a US business requires an Australian work visa all depends on the length of stay and the type of work to be performed.  If an American employee seeks to enter Australia temporarily to attend a series of business meetings or conferences, an Australian work visa is typically not required.  You may be eligible to enter under an Electronic Travel Authority (“ETA”).   For American business owners seeking to establish an Australian entity, there are a myriad of  work visa options.  If you have specialized skills, knowledge, or experience not generally available in Australia, you may qualify for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa.  

Q.  May I obtain an ETA to enter Australia if I have a prior criminal conviction?

A.  If you have a substantial criminal record, you may not satisfy Australia's character requirement and should consider applying for a Visitor Visa.  We can evaluate your criminal conviction and explain more about the procedure if you schedule a consultation with our office.  

Q.  I am an American entertainer seeking to enter Australia temporarily, do I need a visa?

A.   The type of visa required by an American entertainer depends on whether s/he is entering to participate in a promotional activity or to work in the entertainment industry on film, television, or live productions as a performer, production or support staff. 

Q.  I am an American citizen married to an Australian.  We seek to move permanently to Australia.   What type of visa do I need?

A.  The type of visa required depends on whether you intend to apply from outside of Australia (offshore) or from inside Australia (onshore).  Please contact us to explain the differences. 

Q.  Why use a Registered Australian Migration Agent?

A.  Unlike the US immigration system, there are hundreds of different Australian visa sub-classes available.  A Registered Australian Migration Agent can ensure that your application will be properly prepared and submitted under the correct category which will offer you the best chance of a successful outcome.  

Australian visa application fees frequently cost several thousand dollars and are non-refundable.  A Registered Australian Migration Agent is more likely to be up-to-date on the latest relevant legislation and changes to current migration law and visa regulations.  

Using Levin Immigration Law will insure that your visa application will be processed as quickly as possible with the Australian government and have the greatest likelihood of success.  

Q.  I have submitted a visa application to the Australian government and it has been pending for months.  Or, I submitted a visa application to the Australian government and it contained incorrect information.  Can Levin Immigration Law assist me?

A.  Unfortunately, if we did not prepare and submit your visa application, we cannot assist you with expediting the processing or correcting inaccurate information.  

Levin Immigration Law Is Here for You

At Levin Immigration Law, we focus on US Immigration and Australia Migration, and we are here to listen to you and help you navigate the legal system.

Contact Us Today

Levin Immigration Law is committed to answering your questions about US Immigration and Australia Migration issues. We offer consultations and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.